I made one of those random purchases this week and bought another crock pot. I have one, but the handle has been broken for like a year now. As Target usually does, I went in for one thing and came out with a crock pot. Random, I know but with fall officially here I felt a crock pot was a justified buy.
We had a family tradition growing up, Sunday morning my dad would leave home for the Sunday newspapar and a half pound of barbacoa de lengua. We would wake up to one of my favorite breakfasts. Enjoying the real deal barbacoa these days means I have to drive an hour away to my parents or make it myself.
What’s a girl to do when she wants some comfort food for breakfast? Obviously make it herself. Now if you didn’t grow up around barabacoa de lengua (beef tongue) this may seem über gross to you. But, believe me it is DELISH and once you get past that it was a tongue you are in for a major treat. It is better than the tenderest shredded piece of bbq brisket you could eat.
Beef Barbacoa Slow Cooker Recipe
Place the beef tongue in the slow cooker with a 1/3 Cup of water. Sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic powder over tongue. Cover and place on low overnight for a minimum of 8 hours. I left mine in the slow cooker on low for 9 hours.
Remove skin from the entire tongue. It will peel away extremely easy, just make sure to get the underside skin too. If yours has chunky pieces of fat you can remove that too, it should literally fall off with a fork.
Discard skin, easy enough. Drain most of the liquid, leaving a few tablespoons.
Shred beef with a knife and fork.
Until it is completely shredded, like this. Sprinkle a bit of kosher salt.
Serve in a toasty corn tortilla. I add a few pieces of cilantro, avocado slices and a spritz of lime to my tacos.
- Beef Tongue
- Kosher Salt
- Garlic Powder
- Corn Tortillas (or your favorite)
- optional avocado, cilantroand lime -to taste
- Place the beef tongue in the slow cooker
- Add1/3 Cup of water.
- Sprinkl salt, pepper and garlic powder over tongue.
- Cover and place on low overnight for a minimum of 8 hours.
- Remove skin from the entire tongue, discard skin.
- Remove any large pieces of fat, discard.
- Drain most of the liquid, leaving a few tablespoons.
- Shred beef with a knife and fork.
- Sprinkle a bit of kosher salt to taste
- Serve in a toasty corn tortilla. I add a few pieces of cilantro, avocado slices and a spritz of lime to my tacos.